George Sells ExperiencedMedia and Communications Professional
840 N. Kirkwood Rd. St. Louis, MO 63122 cell 314-610-3335 ∙ firstname.lastname@example.org
On the cutting edge of the communications, 360 video, and media fields | Emmy winning leader in bringing news and VR/360 together | Storytelling pro who has excelled in developing 360 branded content | Deep background in broadcast journalism | Experience in building news operations from the ground up | Expert at telling the story that touches the audience and calls them to action | Crisis communication experience at the highest level
Extensive web and social media expertise along with crisis communication and media relations work. That, paired with that traditional news experience and a deep network of relationships provide the whole package in today’s business and media environments.
Working on the cutting edge of the "next big thing" in news gathering and journalism. As General Manager of News for MANDT VR in Hollywood, I developed best practices for the use of virtual reality/360 video in news. I'm ready to help others take the leap into the world of VR.
Member, Producers Guild of America.
George Sells Media St. Louis, MO 2017-Present
· Providing a unique set of services to clients addressing a variety of production and communications needs.
· Media relations services, earning coverage, particularly for tech focused startups.
· Virtual reality/360 production and storytelling, both journalistic and branded content.
· Traditional on camera reporting.
· Live event hosting.
· Clients include the New Orleans Saints and Pelicans for VR/360 consulting, the Kirkwood School District and Jim Butler Auto Group for branded content and 360 branded content, StoryUP VR for VR/360 documentary, HEC-TV for reporting and 360 work, VoiceXP for media relations, and the Emergency Nurses Association for live event work.
MANDT VR Los Angeles, CA
General Manager/Executive Producer of News and Documentary Content 2016-2017
· In charge of overseeing development and execution of news and documentary content.
· Responsible for the development of storytelling “style” for news in the virtual reality format.
· Shooting, editing, writing, and producing stories as part of effort to develop “best practices” for VR news.
· Earned company’s first Emmy awardfor storytelling in VR.
· Leading work to help consult TV stations and station groups in best practices for news coverage and production in VR/360.
· Responsible for developing a national network of correspondents to cover news for MANDT VR.
· In charge of identifying, interviewing and hiring those correspondents.
· Member of leadership team guiding the overall course for MANDT VR in the fast growing world of virtual reality.
· Wrote “pitch deck” materials and participated in pitch meetings with prospective network and business clients.
· Participated in developing content plan and deployment of 360 material for OTT app in partnership with “Podcast One.”
Office of the Circuit Attorney St. Louis, MO 2016
Public Information Officer
· Led public communication and media relations efforts for Missouri’s highest profile prosecutor’s office.
· Involved in crisis communication efforts, including planning for release of material on a police officer being charged with murder and multiple officer involved shootings.
· Took part in planning press events involving the Circuit Attorney.
· Acted as spokesperson for the office when situations warranted.
· In charge of content for office social media accounts and websites.
· Worked on longer term communication plan for victims’ rights court battle and campaign.
· Wrote and produced video material for social media and digital platforms.
KTVI-TV (FOX) St, Louis, MO 2008-2016
· Consistently generate lead stories for top station in the St. Louis market.
· Member of “go team” covering the high-profile Ferguson grand jury decision.
· Won internal competition for stories generating web traffic more than twice as often as any other reporter.
· Key player in building the station’s Facebook page to a top 10 national ranking among local stations. Now has more than 400,000 “likes.”
· Covered breaking stories and daily news in the St. Louis market.
· Smooth, seasoned on-air presence.
· Shooting and editing stories for air.
· Web producer, developing familiarity with a number of content management systems (CMS) for station websites.
News 12 Long Island, Woodbury, NY
· Active leader in suburban New York City newsroom.
· Received Emmy nomination for best general news coverage in the entire New York City market.
· Quickly earned a reputation as one of the top reporters on the competitive Long Island news scene.
· Called, “one of the best broadcast news writers in the nation” by Network president Patrick Dolan.
Boston University - Bachelor of Science in Journalism
· Earned MANDT VR’s first Emmy award, pitting a VR/360 story against “traditional” news content in San Francisco region
· Emmy nominations in spot news, general news (twice), health news, feature, community, and series categories in St. Louis, New York City, and Louisville markets
· Best On-Air TV personality. Louisville American Women in Radio and TV Chapter
· Numerous Associated press and SPJ awards and recognitions in the markets where I worked as a reporter.